Friday, May 14, 2010

Hither Came Conan, the Cimmerian...vol. 3

After ordering six months ago, I finally got my copy of Robert E. Howard's Complete Conan of Cimmeria Volume 3 in the signed limited edition, yesterday.  The wait wasn't all Bud Plant's fault--the book had been delayed from its original release date.  In fact, for a while, it looked like it wasn't going to come out at all.  Volume two of these deluxe Wandering Star editions came out in 2003, and only Book Palace stepping in seems to have got this volume to print in this format.

Thankfully, here it is, and its just as pretty as the two previous volumes--red slipcase, and color plates by Gregory Manchess, plus tonal illustrations.  The contents are the same as Del Rey's The Conquering Sword of Conan paperback from 2005, but getting it with color paintings, signed and numbered by the artist, and on that crisp, acid-free paper, with that new book smell, just makes it feel--I don't know--more important.

Anyway, its got Howard's original versions of the Conan stories from 1935-36, which include "Beyond the Black River" and "Red Nails."  It also includes some of his original synopses, letters, and a Howard-drawn Hyborian Age map.  I don't know if I like Manchess's art as well as that of Gianni in the last volume, or particularly Schultz's in the first, but it certainly isn't bad by any stretch. 

The only question is, how am I going to fit this volume in the "Howard Cabinet" with its peers?

10 comments:

Brian Murphy said...

Nice purchase and nice collection. Looks like the statue may have to give way if you're going to fit that in!

What are the two hardcovers on the left-hand side of the lower shelf, after Graveyard Rats?

Jim Shelley said...

Take out the statue.
Mount it on the hood of your car.
Done.

Unknown said...

That is a gorgeous book and I love your library setup.

I'm just getting through the first volume of Conan stories right now. I'm loving most of them, but "The Vale of Lost Women" really grates with its gob-smacking pulp-era racism. I'll think I'll give it a pass and move on to the next story...

But yeah, I am enjoying Conan. Weird how I never really read the stories until now. In my youth, I devoured the tales of Elric and Fafhrd & The Gray Mouser. Upon rereading, the Lankhmar stories are still some of my all time favorite. I get a taste of that in some of the Conan stories (esp. "The Tower of the Elephant"), but I still prefer Leiber's style and characters.

Shane Mangus said...

I jealous!

Unknown said...

Nice trove! I've alerted my crack team of 60th level thief-acrobats. Consider yourself warned.

Aaron E. Steele said...

Everyone should have a shrine like that. Color me green with envy.

Trey said...

@Brian - yeah, I'm afraid your right about the statue. Those hardcovers are the Wandering Star Ultimate Triumph and Bran Mak Morn books.

@Jim - Mmmm..I'd need to chrome it first.

@Risus - I love them both, both I probably slightly favor Fafhrd and gray Mouser as well, however I think I'm developing a greater appreciation of Howard the older I get.

@P.S. and Paladin - You should see my Lovecraft and CAS cabinets. ;)

@G. - 60th level?! Now I'm gonna have to go out and contract with higher level M-Us for protection!

James said...

Way, way cool!

ze bulette said...

I'll have to add that book to the list. Nice bust on your shelf too!

Trey said...

Yeah, none of the Dark Horse busts are perfect, but I feel like that one's the best of the lot--at least of those available at the time.