Friday, February 19, 2016

Blackmoor College for the Adventuring Arts


I've been enjoying The Magicians on SyFy, but between it and Harry Potter, I wonder why magic gets all the good schools? There are three other core classes after all.

I'm envisions a fantasy wainscot in the modern world where kids with aptitudes in any of the adventuring arts get trained to save the world that hates and fears them from the monsters from below. And have a lucrative adult career doing it.

I've mused on modern monster fighting before and the existence of dungeons in the modern world (and so have others), but a school for training adventurers is an angle I had never considered. I think it adds an interesting additional element.

8 comments:

Konsumterra said...

i did a piece on a adventurer prep school a while back
possibly you commented on one....

http://elfmaidsandoctopi.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/adventurers-prep-school.html

http://elfmaidsandoctopi.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/d100-dungeon-prep-school-encounters.html

http://elfmaidsandoctopi.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/tables-for-dungeoneer-prep-school.html

Brandon Lighter said...

I've made extensive use of "adventuring academies" in my fantasy campaigns -- particularly when playing AD&D which includes rules requiring training in order to advance in levels. Much like professional degree programs, adventurers are expected to return to the college to pursue "Continuing Education" between their adventures to gain real-world experience in their chosen profession. In some cases I've gone so far as to present leveling options like Feats/Proficiencies/Skills (depending on system) in the form of course-listings.

Trey said...

Cool! Thanks for the links. Were any of those set in the modern era?

Gwythaint said...

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/103414/Doomed-Slayers is a product I have found useful; it describes an organization of adventurers that provides training, and a reason for them to exist

Gothridge Manor said...

I've always like the idea of an adventuring school. I've written about it a few times and implemented into a short campaign, but never fleshed it out the concept as much as I wanted.

Unknown said...

I was working on, and would like get back to working on, an adventurer academy of my own. Here's the [url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?340192-On-making-an-adventurer-academy-hub-thread]hub thread[/url] at least.

Chris C. said...

That's a really cool idea. I like it a lot.

Sean Robson said...

Back when I was in high school I imagined just such an adventurer's academy that trained students for careers in the Fighting, Thieving, and Wizardly arts. I suspect that I came up with the notion whilst running endless laps in Phys-Ed, probably wishing that I could be in the library researching spells instead.